The capital city of Doha is a rapidly developing city, progressing fast to become one of the premier cities of the Gulf. The city of Doha is home to several iconic attractions and can be dubbed as a regional cultural hub.
One can find a wide array of museums which depict the past, present and future of the country. It is easy to get an insight into the local culture and heritage by visiting the following attractions-
- Museum of Islamic Art- The museum represents Islamic art from three continents ranging over 1400 years. It hosts special exhibitions, events and activities regularly.
- Weaponry Museum- It displays a splendid range of weapons and artefacts ranging back to the 16th century owned by the members of the Gulf’s ruling families.
- Photography Museum- Designed by one of the most famous architects in the world, Santiago Calatrava, this museum has several historic cameras, some prominent photographs and historic documents on display.
- Doha Heritage Village- An open air museum located along the Doha Corniche, it holds many cultural festivals.
- Al Wajbah – Built in 1882, it is one of the oldest forts in Doha. The fort was an important location in the battle between army of Sheikh Jassim bin Mohammed Al Thani and the Ottoman army.
Doha attains a fine balance between culture and entertainment. The Qatari government has spent considerable resources in constructing a modern outlook for the city. Some of the attractions to be enjoyed are -
- Corniche- A long seaside promenade with a fabulous view of the Palm Tree island and the city’s skyscrapers. It is a popular hangout for the tourists as well as the locals.
- Doha Zoo- It features a variety of animals. Oryx, the national animal of Qatar is also found here.
- Cultural Village- It is a huge cultural city that houses several restaurants that serve cuisines from all around the world. It hosts museums, galleries, libraries and aroman style public auditorium.
- Jungle Zone- A popular theme park located at Hyatt Plaza that serves as a fabulous destination for family get together and is also a famous tourist attraction.
Shopping is a major leisure pursuit of the expats and Qatari natives and you can buy almost anything at lower prices than Dubai. Some of the famous shopping arcades in Doha are-
- City Centre-Doha- It is the largest shopping mall in Doha which was opened in 2001 in the West Bay. It offers a fabulous shopping experience and houses all premium brands. Not only shopping, it is also famous for the recreational activities it offers. From a multiplex cinema to a bowling alley, from a children’s arcade to an ice skating rink, it has something to offer for everyone.
- Souqs- Though the malls attract a large crowds in Doha, the souqs or markets of Doha have an old world charm and you get the best shopping experience in these souqs. The Gold Souq is the place to buy gold and jewellery, the Omani Souq offers a large variety of spices.
When you travel to a city like Doha, having your own means of transportation is essential. Hertz provides a fleet of premium luxury cars, sports vehicles and hybrid vehicles to choose from. Book a car to make your stay pleasurable and expedient.